Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Prisoner Who Wore Glasses

How does the character search for solace, purpose, and/or redemption in this story?
In this story, A Prisoner Who Wore Glasses, the character Brille tries to find solace and redemption by trying to gain freedom for himself and other black people. He goes to prison because of what he believed in and he thought that he could make a difference, but instead they throw him in jail. In the jail, he stands for what he believes in and no one can change his mind. He tries to teach Hannetjie how to treat everyone equally, even though it gets him in trouble but at the end it works. Hannetjie ends up helping everyone on planting and working.

How does the character's experience reflect the historical period in which his/her story is told?
Brille's experience did reflect on his historical period because at this time period blacks and whites weren't treated equally, and they would throw people in jail just like how they did with Brille. And for no reason, they just threw people in jail because of what they belived in or how they looked and acted. This made people want to rebel and try and make equality. The racism at this time era very very exterme. Brille wanted everyone to be treated equalliy and not have to worry about being harassed by others. In this time people tried to free racsim like Nelson Mendela, but to this day people still experience racism.



How does the character's experience in the story symboloize the theme of survival and the human spirit?
Brille symboloizes hope, because he had hope through out the whole experience and nothing could take him down. He stood for what he believed in and didn't let anyone take it aways from him. Just because they threw him in jail because of his color, he didn't let that stop him, he still did what he wanted and just kept thinking that he needs to make it out of here to be with his family. Survival was the key for Brille. He just believed in what he thought was right and didn't care what trouble he got in. He pretty much just wanted to find a way to survive. He didn't believe it was fair that he got sent to jail because he was black or because of his believes. He just wanted to be free and be with his family at the end.

5 Comments:

At March 13, 2008 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Kaitlyn H.(2) said...

I totally agree with you on question 3. I think that hope is a great theme because that is all he really has. That is what keeps his head high. I also like how you used survival as a theme because that really what he's doing in the prison. He does what he has to do to survive. Great job!!

 
At March 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree with what you and Kaityln both said about hope. I believe that if someone has hope then they can take that and make change and inform people on what actions need to take place. Just like how the main character informed people how segregation and rasism is a bad thing and you should fight for what you believe in. I just did not get what you meant by "Hannetjie ends up helping everyone on planting and working." You should have gone into more detail because he didn't only do that, he learned that blacks and whites should be equal.

 
At March 16, 2008 at 10:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Question one to me summarized the story but behind that I could see what you were getting at with him wanted to make a difference and instead being throne in jail. I think you really understood and answered question 2 good, you really showed how racism and equality of blacks and whites, was different from how it is now I also like that you added some people still do experience racism just not to the same extent. I think you did the best on the last question I think hope was a great thing to add in there to show what he was surviving for and that he never gave up.

 
At March 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM , Blogger veronicka espinosa's survival blog said...

Hey!! I totally agree with your answer to question 1. I like how you said that Brille fought for what he beleived in even when it got him into trouble. Also in question 3 i like how you said that hope was the theme of this story. hope is what keeps him going strong. I agree with you when you said that Brille uses survival as a theme because in prison that's all you need to do. Your blog overall was really good =]

 
At March 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

heyy michelle.. i agree with you on question 2. i like how you explained how blacks were treated and looked upon as and how they should be equal...and how you tied nelson mandela into your blog.
nice job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home